Here are the two quotes again, for context. Both by Snyder. First the quote I posted:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. "
And then Dharma Bum's perspective adding response:
"If you want to find nature, start where you are."
That second Snyder quotation reminded me of another Roderick Nash quotation:
"Forget size, terrain, the presence of wild animals, the absence of human technology--wilderness, ultimately is a state of mind. If you think a certain piece of country is wilderness, then it is wilderness--for you.... The dude from New York generally has very criteria for determining wilderness than does the grizzled Idaho prospector. But every wilderness experience is worthy of respect." (as quoted in Planetwalker)
In one way, I do agree with what Nash is saying here. But like any brief quotation taken from its context, it does not tell the whole story, just as the original Snyder quotation doe not tell the whole story, nor did my comment on it, and thus, Dharma Bum's response to offer a little more of the story. It is, of course, precisely because quotations are lifted from their context that they don't tell the whole story....
I do believe with every fiber of my being that, as Nash says, "every wilderness experience is worthy of respect." And it will be helpful to note that Nash spent most of his career as an educator trying to get "overcivilized" (as he called us) humans back in touch with something they had lost by disconnecting themselves from the natural world and living increasingly in artificiality.... Nash was particularly wont to emphasize, encourage, and praise, any and all movements in the direction of nature no matter how seemingly small....
And so do I. A thousand times yes.
That said, I will confess that when I originally posted the Snyder quotation that started this whole train of thought, I was in fact thinking of all the things that Nash said to forget: size, terrain, the presence of wild animals, the absence of human technology. I confess that I had in mind places like the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, or the Bob Marshall Wilderness, just to name a couple of such places that remain, places where one can still be immersed in a completely non-human environment. Or at least, the only "human environment" is yourself and the pieces of a human environment you bring with you. As you may know, I try to bring as little as possible when I go to the wilderness.... I confess that that was the "home" I was thinking of.... Yes, that's where I want to be....
Yes, it is vitally important that every wilderness experience be treated with respect...a sense of awe and beauty in all of life and in the everyday around us must be reclaimed.... And yes, it is important to emphasize, encourage, and praise any and all movement towards that reverence and awe .... Yes, "wilderness" is a "state of mind." But it is not only that. It is a real and disappearing entity. And that too must be emphasized. It is also vitally important to preserve the remaining large tracts of wilderness, for if that last wildness is lost...something of unspeakable value to human life and spirit (yes, even to those who go nowhere near the wilderness, though they may know it not, nor recognize its value to themselves or the planet) will be lost along with it. Perhaps it could be said that we will be more inclined to preserve the latter, if we have been continually cultivating the former. That is, if all of life and nature around us--even in cities--is treated with awe and respect for the life that it is and the life that it gives...then we may be less inclined to look at the last great tracts of wilderness in terms of "board feet" and "mineral resources" for example, merely to be exploited and turned to perishable cash, with no thought of a value that is deeper...and more ancient...or of what we might learn to be and become from nature....
I am rambling.
I was inspired by the original Snyder quotation as well as by Dharma Bum's Snyder response. And so, finding myself today stood up for an appointment and with a few free hours on my hands, I got out into "home," my little patch of "nature" and "wilderness" here in the city. Here's what "home" looks like today:
A snowy gulch down to the river.
Nature is an attitude, a way of viewing and your days through the lens of the elemental; a constant awareness of season and circumstance wherein earth and sky and every living thing thereon become a part of our thoughts and dreams.
ReplyDeleteI also understand what you’re getting at. For some of us nature is as essential as breath or heartbeat, an irreplaceable necessity, possibly a genetic compulsion. And our first impulse is to want to immerse ourselves in nature in its rawest, wildest, most inaccessible form. Consequently, we whine and pout and generally feel sorry for ourselves when we’re “stuck” in a city…or maybe even a little backroad village with one traffic light and a dog who feels comfortable sleeping smack in the middle of Main Street, secure in the knowledge that everyone knows he might be sleeping there and will watch for him and swerve accordingly. Daniel Boone moved when neighbors got so close that he could spot their chimney smoke across the valley.
But in the end, nature is something we carry in our hearts—like love or spiritual peace. A filter for our life. (BTW, your photos are lovely.)
Since this all began with reference to Gary Snyder, it might be noted that, for all his love of wilderness, his real passion is for wildness.
ReplyDeleteIn his book "Practice of the Wild" (which I last read about 18 years ago), he talks about *wildness* as the state of being "off the path."
We don't have to go anywhere to be off the path - we just need to let go of our attachments, aversions and other deluded mind-states.
When we do that, when we approach each moment with "before-thinking" mind, then it's like rambling along the Chinese Wall in the Bob Marshall Wilderness - WOW!
I think both Snyder quotes say the same thing: we are always in nature. There is nothing but. It is only in our minds that we start making distinctions between "real" nature and the inferior stuff that most clearly shows our footprints. A knowledgeable naturalist sees both our footprints in the supposedly untrammelled wilderness and the wilderness in our most trampled places.
ReplyDeleteIf it's contact with nature you want, that is as available to you as your next breath. But if it's isolation you want, don't call it nature. Nature deserves more respect than just to be used as a wall between you and the others of your kind.
Grizzled,
ReplyDeleteThank you once again for your wisdom freely given here. I appreciate it very much. Was I whining, pouting, and feeling sorry for myself? :)
Barry,
ReplyDeleteI'll restate here what I said in my response in the last post, as I read both this comment and that one together as I was moderating them and failed to realize they were on two different posts.
You are a wise man, or perhaps it would be better to say you carry some wisdom with you. You subsequent comments hit the nail on the head and gave me much to ponder. Thank you.
You're right on target with your comments about Sbyder.
Sylvia,
ReplyDeleteYes, one way to look at it is that both of the those quotations are really getting at the same thing. I've no doubt that's more than likely how Snyder would see it himself.
I'll confess that sometimes I feel "put in my place" by your comments. But of course you're right in what you write here.
I don't think I was trying to inadvertantly disrespect nature and wishing for isolation from my own kind. If the post came across that way then I failed....
Nope…I sure didn’t take it for whining or pouting or self pity. No worries there.
ReplyDeleteI know you wouldn't dream of deliberately disrespecting nature, but it's important to remember that wilderness is not just the (apparent) absence of the human but the presence of things that have a very rich and deep life of their own and merit our direct attention and interest. What it is is far more important than what it is not.
ReplyDeleteFascinating, thought-provoking and thoughtful stuff. I certainly didn't think my Snyder quote in response to your Snyder quote would inspire such an inspired meditation on this question.
ReplyDeleteThe comments here have been as wise as the post, which is ultimately what I love about blogs.
I think Sylvia did hit the nail on the head by pointing out that both quotes say essentially the same thing. That was really my original intent, particularly because the same guy--who is known for the consistency of his thinking across a broad and deep valley of thought--said both things. Reading your original quote again, and then mine, I am stricken by how much they inform each other, and by how much meaning the individual can bring to such a simple statement.
Nonetheless, what this post and discussion gets to is a "big question." That of humankind's role in the world, as a species that is as much at home here as anything else in this global ecosystem, or as an interloper, a creature apart from nature.
Now, it's important to remember that whatever I might say, and however it might be interpreted, I am a guy who works 40 hours a week on behalf of Wilderness with a capital "W" and that all-important "er" between "wild" and "ness."
I believe that the nature--or wilderness--you were referring to in your first post, is vitally important to humans, for exactly the reasons you've laid out in this post. It is a place for remembering our place in this world, this ecosystem, and for all the spiritual, emotional and mental benefits that come with it.
But I love how you finished this post, with a walk down by your urban river, your nature, your wilderness, that is part of your day-to-day, everyday home. It's why I love the St. Croix (although even the 1/2 hour it takes to reach that river means a certain degree of alienation) as much as I love the BWCAW. Both are home, in all that word and concept's complexity.
Apparently it's my turn to ramble. You got me asking some questions, which is my particular form of worship. Cheers.
Grizzled,
ReplyDeleteNo worries indeed. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom with us.
Sylvia,
ReplyDeleteI don't disagree with you.
Dharma Bum,
ReplyDeleteFirst let me say that I love this statement you made: "You got me asking some questions, which is my particular form of worship." I think you must be a kindred spirit.
I think you have really gotten to the core of what I was indeed trying to convey with this post and exactly why I finished it off with a trip to my own "urban river: and showing a glimpse of my patch of "wilderness." I don't think I said it very well in the post but you have clarified and said it well indeed. Thank you.
Yes, the "big question" here , as it were, is will we be a creature at home with and in the ecosystem--as once upon a time we were--or will we be creatures apart as we have become....
And hey, neighbor just across the river...if you would, shoot me an e-mail sometime. I would love to connect.... canoeinthemist @ gmail.com
Peace to all