"Go quietly, Carry little."

Poetry, quotations, personal reflections from a lover of the wilderness, a lover of the silence....


Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Man's Gotta Have Priorities, Ya Know

;)

"...poetry and revolution before breakfast." ~Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

And....

"When the situation is desperate, it is too late to be serious. Be playful." ~From A Voice Crying in the Wilderness (Thanks, Val, for reminding me of this one :)

I think I'm going to make that last one my motto for the rest of my life. I'm so serious so much of the time....

And I thought I would change up the pic I usually use of Abbey. He looks rather sinister in this one, doesn't he? I think I have now talked about Edward Abbey on this blog almost as much as I have Wendell Berry. There is a luminary of mine who is largely missing...Sigurd Olson. I must rectify that in weeks, months, posts to come. In my universe, 'ol Sig deserves equal standing with them....

6 comments:

  1. "When the situation is desperate, it is too late to be serious. Be playful."

    How logical.
    PLAYFULNESS = CREATIVITY = NEW IDEAS = NEW SOLUTIONS TO OLD PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow flandrumhill, I hadn't thought of an equation like that...but it works. I like it. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, I am so serious so much of the time as well. I could use to lighten up as well. Here's to that !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Molly, in the next 83 days, I think you could probably work some playfulness into the schedule, don't you think?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I think this shot of Abbey looks like a hobo in need of a train—or it's mug shot of an unrepentant desert rat/poet/curmudgeon/outdoor subversive. A great photo, though.

    So often in my life I've been told the same thing over and over: "Quit clowning around…this is serious!" Naturally, this admonition from the surrounding herd only reinforced my determination to think and act otherwise: when told to do this, do the opposite. It's just great to have an Abbey quote that validates my contrary attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "an unrepentant desert rat/poet/curmudgeon/outdoor subversive" indeed.

    I'm so glad to offer you some validation today, Grizzled. :)

    Peace. Now stop clowning around on all our blogs, okay? ;)

    Please, don't dare. We love your antics.

    ReplyDelete