From a post by The Rambling Taoist:
"If we're at all honest with ourselves, a blog is a form of vanity. It's a modern way of saying, "Hey, look at me. Look at what I can do." It's true of every blog I visit and it's just as true for me. I'm certainly not suggesting that there are not other motivations involved -- as for most of us there ARE -- but when we clear the cobwebs from our eyes, there is a streak of vanity staring back in the mirror."
It's true.
More:
"I once wrote here that one of the things I like about blogging is that I seem to collect and integrate my thoughts better in writing. So, I reasoned, this format allows me the opportunity to put pen to virtual paper and then to read what I have written. But let's get real! I could very easily set up something akin to a blog on my own computer for my eyes only. I have chosen instead to put my private thoughts and words in a public forum. Vanity strikes again!"
But it isn't just vanity.... It's the community of like minds found in blogging. And the inspiration that can come ordinary folks through their blogs.
And if you don't have blog...It's hard to play, so to speak.
But I would be lying if I didn't admit that what the Rambling Taoist writes is true. At least in my case.
And I can't say I like the feeling very much. Truth can be like that.
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wrote on the topic of vanity because it's something that we all know firsthand, but it's uncomfortable to talk or think about. We each like to tell ourselves that our motives are always pure and we know, deep down, that it's not entirely true.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I agree that another reason folks like you & I blog truly is to add thoughts to an overall community. In this way, our purposes aren't vain at all.
Life is damn complex, isn't it? :)
There is one more aspect to add -- commenting. We each comment on each others blogs for vain and not vain reasons.
The vain reason is to generate traffic to our own blogs. Most of us include our blog web address or blog profile so others can read more of our "eloquent" thoughts.
The more pure reasons are a) to let others know that they are being read, b) to encourage others to continue their personal self-exploration, c) to make salient points, both yea and nay, and d) simply to be supportive of the efforts of friends and acquaintances.
Here's a post that Molly put up today too; it correlates with what you posted:
ReplyDeletehttp://destinationthejourney.com/2009/02/27/owning-it/
RT,
ReplyDeleteWow, I think you summed it all up pretty well.
Life is damn complex, or...is if that we only make it so...?
Val,
Yes, I read that post from Molly a bit ago, and I saw the correlation immediately. Another "truth making you ouch." Actually, I've had several of those in my life recently.
Peace to you both and thanks, as always, for the comments.
Mmm... Mixed motives, eh?
ReplyDeleteI take this point - up to a point. For if one takes this point of view completely, then surely most all our words (written and spoken) and actions are laced with 'vanity' to a greater or lesser degree. (Philanthropists, for example, get a 'selfish' kick out of 'giving' - it makes them feel important and 'good'; surgeons feel akin to God by saving a life, and so on.) 'The disease of conceit', as Bob Dylan puts it.
And at what point does valid and necessary self-expression, an involuntary desire for creativity, an imperative, human need to try and formulate ideas and thoughts and share them... at one point do these become pusuits of vanity?
No, I don't really know the answer either!
But it's good to ponder, be aware of, and try and guard against insidious 'vanity'.
SW,
ReplyDeleteThank you. An insightful comment. Your questions are crucial, and I don't have answers either. In some ways, I think every creative and artistic expression I have ever made has been a struggle with this at some level. There is certainly a line, and I probably tend to err on one side of it consistently....
Thank you for your podering with me.
Vanity? Who doesn't like a compliment? (If we get one, that is...)
ReplyDeleteBut, for me, Ox Herding isn't primarily about vanity. Nor is it primarily about community.
For me, the daily crafting of a post - centering on an idea, expressing it in words, illustrating it with a photo - is fundamentally a creative outlet.
I do it for the sheer stimulation of doing it. Perhaps that's vanity.
But it feels subjectively more like cooking a wonderful dinner. I serve it to my wife and she likes it, or not, but I got the very real pleasure of planning, organizing, and cooking the meal. I'm not sure that vanity has a role in this - rather, it's just an outlet for creativity, and all the joy such activity produces.
Thank you Barry. This is actually one of your longer comments here in awhile. You're usually much more pithy and succinct. ;)
ReplyDeleteNonetheless I'm sure glad for you taking the time to share your own motivations. All I can really say is, "You're a better man than I am." But I already knew that.
I tend to agree with SW's comment.
ReplyDeleteI think some people have a greater need to have the language center in their brain stimulated with ideas, thoughts, words and imaginations - it is like a natural feel-good drug and probably quite adaptive and beneficial for our survival. Words expressing ideas and imaginations can take you to a realm that probably is similar to the spiritual - both are about creating ideas outside the realm of reality and fill one with inspiration and wonder.
I think the need to get the ideas, words and poems in your head onto paper for some sort of organisation or de-frag probably the greater motivator, together with the social benefits which may include a positive self-regard or a dash of vanity.
Thank you, Bella. You have articulated this very well.
ReplyDeleteRegardless of whether blogs are vain or not, does anyone agree with me that the truth can be an "ouch" to us? :)
Furthermore, I guess I must be more vain than most...
Crap, that's another ouch.
I agree with some of the points raised by Solitary Walker, Barry & Bella. Most of us are not one-dimensional; there's an intertwining of motivations to share thoughts and ideas via the blog platform.
ReplyDeleteHOWEVER, if vanity played no role, we can find ways and mechanisms to share our thoughts and ideas in a more anonymous manner. The very fact some use their names and others use monikers (note: I do both as TRT is a moniker, but I list the name behind the moniker "Trey Smith" at the top of my blog) still points to the fact we want to be known for ourselves.
Being known for ourselves is not solely based on vanity, but I do think it plays a role.
I like the "ouch" of the truth - it means you've just scratched the surface in your excavation of the truth.
ReplyDeleteFW,
ReplyDeleteThe truth is such a freaking "ouch" that it stops us in our tracks. It makes us hurt and anguish and feel things we wouldn't wish on anyone.
But then, then if we're open to Truth, we can see through the hurt and the anguish, and understand that it is only a "flesh wound". Truth doesn't hurt us. It merely allows - when we're open to it - to see where it is in our life that we need healing.
(Sorry about the Monty Python reference. It just seemed appropriate...) ; )
RT,
ReplyDeleteFor myself, I think I quite agree with you, and that's why your post resonated with me such that I made my own post from it, and here we are.... But as we can see, not all think/feel the same on this.
We want to be known for ourselves, you say. One of my motivations is that at some level I want to be understood. I'm not sure if that's quite the same thing as being known.
True understanding from others seems to continue to elude me though, and actually, I don't think it's really possible through this medium.
Rambling thoughts here, RT. :)
Bella,
ReplyDeleteI applaud your fortitude. May your scratchings yield truth indeed. :)
Val,
Yes. Ouch. Maybe the hard truth about ourselves is sometimes just a flesh would, but...flesh wounds still bleed....
Indeed they do.
ReplyDeletePeace to you, Forest.
FW, don't be mistaken, I may have a small degree of fortitude for perhaps the "flesh wounds" but the deep wounds, these are the wounds that really hurt. The deep wound that wont heal and if you let it, it will destroy you.
ReplyDeleteYep, life is damn complex :)
While I agree that blogs grow somewhat from vanity, I don't know that it is something that we should (as bloggers) be ashamed of. Rather than being an intrusive vanity, it is just out there. Folks can witness it or not, by the simple means of reading a blog or not. On the other hand, showing the same vanity in person-to-person contact could be very annoying.
ReplyDeleteI think a little vanity is appropriate. It shows that you value yourself.
'Course, I could just be justifying to myself....
One of my motivations is that at some level I want to be understood. I'm not sure if that's quite the same thing as being known. True understanding from others seems to continue to elude me though, and actually, I don't think it's really possible through this medium.
ReplyDeleteForest, this is scary. You're starting to sound like my wife! :D)
You've really hit the nail on the head and said what I was trying to say, only better. My wife sort of serves as my interpreter to the world. I continually say odd things which my wife can adeptly translate so that others can understand the gist of my meaning.
Bella,
ReplyDeleteThanks for clearing that up. :)
Barefoot,
You make a very good point about the passive and unobtrusive nature of this particular "vanity." Thanks for chiming into the discussion.
RT,
Yeah that is a bit scary that I'm sounding like your wife. :)
Vanity is a word with very negative connotations...but really we all have our little vain moments and tendencies. As long as we face up to them and are honest with ourselves I don't think we need worry too much about it. I do worry about it sometimes though of course...saying something and keeping to it yourself...something separate entirely!
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteThanks for offering your thoughts on this.
I suppose perhaps I analyze my own motivations more than many if not most. Perhaps this is why RT's post struck me so....
Wounds bleed.We are blessed with bodies that allow the bleeding to stop through coagulation..If our bodies and minds meet then we can allow a healing in our heart wounds -the worst ouches of all. SO what does coagulation of the heart look like?..What tool is in our grasp that would allow such a healing to take place? A sword of Truth?..Truth of what is real - what is good - what is right..Truth is still Truth even when it hurts...Truth can stab and wound only our egos. Otherwise Truth is the sword we need protect or hearts from new wounds....
ReplyDeleteBtw - your work on this blog is fascinating and understood.
A.
Thank you, "A", for your visit, your comment, and your words of encouragement. :)
ReplyDeleteAs a new blogger, this is something that has been in the back of my mind. A timely post for me, so thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGrace,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the visit and the comment. I'm glad this made you think. :)
And welcome to the blogosphere. I'll come over and have a look. :)
Hi-
ReplyDeleteI have often reflected on my reasons for having a blog. First and foremost I have a truth to share. And in being completely honest I really love when my truth helps someone else if only to possibly free them to tell their own. Vain? Perhaps.
I also have come to realize that when I have had comments that are challenging, a few quite angry and hurtful I was SO upset that I almost deleted my whole blog. The issues around clergy abuse seemed to really upset a few people. sigh...........
Anyway - I love reading about other people's lives and having them read about mine - like minds and different minds too -
Love Gail
peace......
Gail,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your comment and your presence here.
I've been there and done that with deleting an entire blog because of comment trolls. I don't need that and it's not why I blog to get into arguments and pointless discussions. I know there are some if the blogosphere who thrive on that, but I try to nurture a respectful environment here.
One of the reasons I use comment moderation.