"Go quietly, Carry little."

Poetry, quotations, personal reflections from a lover of the wilderness, a lover of the silence....


Saturday, February 14, 2009

This Totally Ordinary Moment

This Totally Ordinary Moment
by me

I see her standing in the kitchen
leaning back against the counter
waiting for the kettle to boil.
She is staring out the window
at the cold, gray dawn
rising over the white silent landscape.
She appears lost in thought.
I watch her through the open door
from my seat on the couch in the next room.
All is silent, except for the gentle rumble
of the kettle beginning to boil.

She wears her baggy cotton sweatsuit.
She is barefoot, her hair is mussed.
But for a moment as I silently watch her,
a vision appears to me. She is still
standing there against the counter,
but it is a bright summer day, and
she is twenty again. She is in that
pink dress she used to wear so long ago.
And the bobby socks and those
crazy checkered shoes she was so fond of....
Her fresh face shines, as the sunlight
from the kitchen window alights on her,
and she is smiling at me.

It is just for a moment, this vision,
and then I see that it is not summer.
The wind whips up and begins
to howl outside. A chill runs through me.
I grab a blanket beside me to
wrap around me. And she is still
leaning against the kitchen counter,
still lost in thought, waiting
for the kettle to boil, fifty, not twenty,
with wrinkles and extra pounds,
just like me. Standing there in
a baggy sweatsuit, barefoot,
with her hair mussed.

Sitting at the table, we drink
our tea mostly in silence.
Here and there a word or a few,
about the day ahead.
This totally ordinary moment
holds the microcosm of our lives.
Here is all of it at once.
Here is comfort, here is strain.
Here is history, the good and the bad,
the beautiful and the ugly.
Here the hot liquid is comforting.
In this moment is felt no need for more.
Right now is enough.

22 December 2008

15 comments:

  1. with the gift of perception, there are only sacred moments....
    continued blessings to you and yours,
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, FW.

    I'm reminded of what Hanh wrote: "Wherever we are, any time, we have the capacity to enjoy the sunshine, the presence of each other, the wonder of our breathing. We don't have to travel anywhere else to do so. We can be in touch with these things right now." and "There is nothing to chase after."

    "Right now is enough", you say?

    Indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val,
    I should probably qualify here in the comments that I don't always live in the space where "Right now is enough." I only manage a visit there every now and then....

    But good 'ol Thich Nhat Hanh is right. He's almost always right, that wise and gentle fellow.

    I think i wouldn't mind being like him when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi FW -

    My wife is nearing 60, and occasionally we will look at old photos. We do so, I think, to remind ourselves that we had younger days.

    Sometimes, like you, when I look at her, I see her as 27. Sometimes I see her as 60. But I always look upon her with love. Her gentleness has not changed.

    Blessings,
    Nalton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Nalton. You the man with an outlook like that. Gassho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, the poem itself is like warming tea on a cold day. A lovely moment you've captured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely poem and thought, FW. I saw this post listed yesterday, but when I clicked, I couldn't bring it up. I'm glad to have found it this morning, though.

    Remember yesterday, consider tomorrow, live today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tess and Grizzled,
    Thanks, as always, for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Right now is enough."

    It isn't just enough, it's all there IS. But I'm with ya - I arrive only moments at a time. Kind of like popping in a breath mint and feeling the tingly minty freshness...then going right back to that stale taste in my mouth.

    I love the narrative element of this poem. Gorgeously done. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alice,
    Indeed. Of course you're absolutely right. The present moment is always all there is! But so often the present moment is only a place we visit occasionally.... I will continue to make the effort to live there.

    I like your simile of the minty freshness/stale taste.... And thanks for the kind words about the poem.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, FW. Really Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete