"I can't change the world. But I can change the world in me." ~Bono, from the song "Rejoice" on the album October. (And this from a man who has personally done more to "change the world" recently than most of us on the planet.)
"If we seek to seek to make this a better world, we have no choice but to work with ourselves - our venality and untrustworthiness, as well as our beauty and decency." ~Barry Briggs, from "Global Warming and Human Nature"
Today's musical video bonus:
U2 performing "Rejoice" live in Belgium, 1982. What a blast from my past. Bono and I are close to the same age (I'm about a year older). Ah such earnest youngsters we were, and I think that shows in the video. This doesn't look anything like the mature U2 that one would see in concert today. Who knew then that they would become one of the most iconic rock bands of all time.
I hope you'll enjoy:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
U2 has aged like a fine wine. There are flavors there that one could never have anticipated with Boy, and October. The amazing thing is that if they had called it quits with War, they still would have had a significant place in music history. Even through a couple of '90s efforts I found not to my liking, they became more nuanced, and deeper musically, spiritually and socially, and that's where I would normally have a disconnect. I usually roll my eyes when an artist, band, actor, etc, begins to espouse they social "wisdom". I have indeed been known to shout "shut up and sing" at a show from time to time, but there was something different in Bono's voice. I've never known an artist to be more passionate, and at the same time proactive as he. When Bono first began to exercise his voice, to speak to social issues, I rolled my eyes. It took a couple of years for me to come around, but slowly I began to be swayed. As someone who shares some of Bono's spiritual values, I began to see that he did something to few of us who identify as Christian do, he consistently lived his conviction. Some social sensibilities I carried from childhood have changed in the past few years, and a part of the credit (or blame, haha) is Bono's That may be a bit silly to some, but for someone who places such a high value on music, as I do, it's logical. Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteSham, my oldest and dearest friend,
ReplyDeleteWow, dude. I'm honored that you emerged to eloquate (invented word) on this in my comment space. I largely agree with you, as you know.
Thanks, home skillet.
Recently there was an African spokeswoman giving talks demanding U2 and Geldof to stop what they are doing because it is fuelling corruption. It stated there had been significant increase in poverty in African countries since their aid programs...?
ReplyDeleteCan't say I ever really followed U2 - Mick and Keith are it for me in regards to rock music icons - not an ounce of social responsibility with them.... for social and/or spiritual I lean towards Bob Dylan, Nina Simone, Ben Harper....
Bella,
ReplyDeleteI had not heard or read that.... I have read (more than once in the last few years) that Bono has been seriously talked about by the Nobel folks as a potential honoree for the Peace Prize for his work with AIDS in Africa and his pressuring of G8 governments to forgive third world debt. Hmmm, Nobel doesn't usually get things wrong.... At the very least, guys like Bono and Geldof have done a lot to raise awareness and fight apathy in the affluent developed world. I've not heard either one of them mince words.
I'm sorry you have not acquired a taste for my Irish friends, but if the names you list are an indication of your musical prediliections, then...I like your taste in music. :) I'll agree that all you mention are outstanding...especially Dylan. But then, the former Bobby Zimmerman from the Minnesota Northwoods, Hibbing, MN, is one of my icons.... I can scarecely travel historic highway 61 up the North Shore of Superior withour listening to Dylan on the way....
Love that Bono quote. So very hopeful, to think that regardless of what's going on around us, we still control how we respond... we still decide if we'll rise to the challenge.
ReplyDeleteJust to let you know, I've stopped following for a while because whenever I click on FW in google reader it signs me out and effectively deactivates 'reader' until I re-boot the computer. I wonder if any of your other followers have encountered this problem?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'll continue to follow via the link on 'Postcard from Timperley' for the time being.
Keep up the good work.
Martin
FW, I only read the newspaper article on Bono because the story seemed strange and well I wanted to know the details - apparently the huge amount of money is attracting corruption within their political parties...hmmm...nothing new really..corrupt politicians.
ReplyDeleteYeap, yah for Bobby Zimmerman!
Wilsonian,
ReplyDeleteIt's true.
Martin,
Thanks for letting me know. How very strange that that is happening. Thanks for continuing to read. Keep up the good work at Postcard from Timperley too. :)
Peace
Bella,
So the damn corrupt politicians gotta go ruin everything and screw their own people. That makes me angry. And we wonder why there are violent revolutions....
On a happier note, I think I may be revisiting Highway 61 soon. :)
Haha - a Barry Briggs quote smack in the middle of a U2 post. BB is starting to be quite the celebrity! All very deserving, I should add. :D
ReplyDeleteI have my ups and down with not so much U2, but with Bono. The man, in my opinion, is an egomaniac and a total drama queen. But as Shamrock so eloquently mentioned, despite my feelings about Bono, his voice is an amazing and special instrument that has a way of delivering powerful messages that brim over with great passion, emotion, and musicality. So even though I still roll my eyes (followed by an "Oh, gawwwd") every time I hear his name or see him (Obama's pre-inauguration concert, for example), I always stop and listen to what he sings.
BTW, my favorite U2 album is, hands down, WAR. Raaaaaaahhhh!
Alice,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about Barry; I'm becoming a big fan of 'da Briggs. :)
Bono, on the other hand. He's passionate, outspoken, and intense, no question...but he strikes me personally as far less of an egomaniac and drama queen than most rock stars, expecially those of his stature/fame. :)
War is in my top 3 U2 albums. But I am in the minority in considering The Unforgetable Fire as their best work. It's my personal favorite anyway. I know the critic's conventional wisdom is that The Joshua Tree is their definitive work, and I can't argue too much with that. It probably ranks a close second for me personally.
I'm afraid I struggle with U2. But, like Bella, the Stones do it for me every time! And Dylan, well, yes, of course... the master.
ReplyDeleteSW,
ReplyDeleteAh well, sorry about that. But we agree on Dylan, so we have that going for us! :)
Peace
And yet another thought provoking post...
ReplyDeleteOne day while looking for a small Book of Psalms in a bookstore, I came across an abridged edition that contained a forward by Bono which I was able to quickly read. I ended up purchasing a different edition that day, but the words in that forward made enough of an impact to make me think the better of both Bono and David.
We can't change the world without, only the world within. And even that seems like an insurmountable challenge some days.
"We can't change the world without, only the world within. And even that seems like an insurmountable challenge some days."
ReplyDeleteTrue words, and some of the best ones I've read today; thanks Flandrumhill.
And I am not at all surprised that Bono's foreword had that effect. :)