In a part of my (misspent?) youth, I was a big fan of Henry Rollins and of his various musical and quasi-poetic ventures. And the quotation above, from a spoken word piece of his called "Decoration Day," has stuck with me across the years. They are graphic, even vulgar words, to be sure, and perhaps would be offensive to some.... But then Henry isn't known for mincing words. Nonetheless, in many ways they strike me as healthy "words to live by" on many occasions...at least many occasions in my own life....One of those occasions (a small example, which precipitated this posting) came about yesterday and today. Yesterday I left a comment on a blog post expressing an opinion on the subject that was at hand. Nothing unusual about that. What was also unfortunately not that unusual, is that I was wrong in the opinion expressed. Oh, I don't necessarily mean wrong in a factual way, but rather in terms of the attitude of my posting...and I didn't even realize it at the time.
This morning another blogger left a comment that made me stop and think...and then go back and read what I had said the previous day in the light of that.... I didn't like what I saw.
Whenever the following manifests in us: "My way of thinking believing, my way of seeing the world...is the right way, the superior way...." Here is danger. And a place where we need someone, something, to "show us our shit," to feed us (hopefully in a gentle way, that's always nice) a slice of "humble pie." Humble Pie may not taste very good going down, but I assure you it is very nutritious for our beings....
I want to be grateful for every slice of humble pie I eat. Because I know I need it.
As Yogi said in the previous post: "It's not the heat, it's the humility." Humility is a healthy way to live. I wish us all more of it today, myself especially.
Peace to all
"When someone shows you your own shit, hold on to the stink as long as you can; it will keep you straight."
ReplyDeleteMan, this is so true. I would only add one tiny little caveat:
Don't hold on to the stink of the shit so long that you begin to believe that's all you are made of.
There is fine line there.
Has anyone ever told you you're an ISTJ? ;)
ReplyDeleteYou made too many wrong mistakes. That's all.
ReplyDeleteBarry
Val,
ReplyDeleteTotally agreed! :)
Islandbookworm,
Uhh...yeah, a certain bookworm told me that once. Well, actually more than once. ;)
Barry,
Aint't it the truth? :)
A tremendous quote. Henry's a long time favorite. He's one of the deepest folks that the American Hardcore movement, and Black Flags best front-man.
ReplyDeleteShamrock,
ReplyDeleteI knew you would approve. :)
Much love
A good thought for all.
ReplyDeleteIt's so easy, being apart from the source of what we read, to casually leave a remark and hurry on.
Often we forget the bullets often hit...and sting.
We never see.
Nina,
ReplyDeleteToo true. Thank you, and thanks for being here.