"Go quietly, Carry little."

Poetry, quotations, personal reflections from a lover of the wilderness, a lover of the silence....


Friday, January 9, 2009

On the days I am lucky...I am silent

(My musings are below the poem)

VII

I would not have been a poet
except that I have been in love
alive in this mortal world,
or an essayist except that I
have been bewildered and afraid,
or a storyteller had I not heard
stories passing to me through the air,
or a writer at all except
I have been wakeful at night
and words have come to me
out of their deep caves
needing to be remembered.
But on the days I am lucky
or blessed, I am silent.
I go into the one body
that two make in making marriage
that for all our trying, all
our deaf-and-dumb of speech,
has no tongue. Or I give myself
to gravity, light, and air
and am carried back
to solitary work in fields
and woods, where my hands
rest upon a world unnamed,
complete, unanswerable, and final
as our daily bread and meat.
The way of love leads all ways
to life beyond words, silent
and secret. To serve that triumph
I have done all the rest.

"VII" from the poem "1994" by Wendell Berry, from A Timbered Choir: The Sabbath Poems 1979–1997.

It just may be that there is no poet who speaks so deeply to me so often as does Wendell Berry. But then, there is so much poetry that I have not read...perhaps there will be others I will discover who so often seem to speak what is in the very depths of me.... I can open a book of Berry's poems and within minutes I feel like I have been directly spoken to, and that Berry has said what was most deeply in my heart but I could never have articulated so powerfully and clearly. When I read Wendell Berry's poetry I feel like I have been completely understood...though Mr. Berry knows not a thing about my existence, of course.

There is the quotation that I use in my Blogger profile. It sits--at the time of this posting, at least--at the very top of my sidebar:

"I dream of a quiet man who explains nothing and defends nothing, but only knows where the rarest wildflowers are blooming, and who goes, and finds that he is smiling not by his own will." --Wendell Berry, from II, Sabbaths 1999.

And there are so many others: How to be a poet (to remind myself), and The Peace of Wild Things, just to mention a couple.... Each of these speaks to me of what is most deeply in my heart....

I remember reading once about Mr. Berry's "philosophy of writing" (and damned if I can remember what publication it was in or if I can locate it online at the moment), if you could call it that, which he didn't. It was just a small part in an article.... Berry's approach to writing, as I remember it, is quite "no-nonsense." (Rather like Spencer Tracy's "philosophy of acting" which was "Just learn your lines and don't bump into the furniture"--but I digress....) Berry does not write because he feels compelled to write, as some writers apparently do. He does not seem to view his writing as a "vocation." And he has little patience for writers who he says "agonize" over their writing and talk about it like it's such hard work. If it's such torture, says Berry, then they should give it up, don't write another word. Berry's writing comes out of the life he lives and how he lives it, and it would seem that he would be just as content if he did not write. Berry doesn't even consider himself a writer first, but a farmer. His idea is that the writer needs to be able to not write just as much as he/she needs to be able to write, and until the writer can, he/she shouldn't write. He thinks people should work first of all on living authentic, holistic lives in community, on being, and doing the things to make a life. Writing should be secondary. Live then write. If you don't live then shut up. The world will be better for it, either way. I would say it's not a take you would expect from a famous writer.

I love Berry's straightforwardness and simplicity. No dissembling, no apologies, he just is. No wonder his writing touches something in me that I want to live more authentically.... In the end the writing is not the point...the life is.

When I finally embraced that it was a great relief to me. Because I have always been somewhat gifted with words (Notice I say somewhat, the "gifting" is a relative thing) and because it is one of the few skills I possess, for some time I felt compelled to become a writer. And by that I mean someone who could "make a living" writing. But I found it a heavy burden, and the "compelling" robbed it of joy for me.... It has been some time ago now that I opted to really pursue just one thing: trying to live an authentic life from and to the few things that stir my heart most deeply. If one's life is not authentically being lived from what one might call one's "core," then the writing will not be authentic either. I am not interested in just churning out words for the sake of it. There are a lot of those in the world. If the words come, I will be pleased. If they don't, I am not phased. I hope to still be living "what my heart beats loudly for, and what feels heavy in my gut,"

Mr. Berry says in the poem above that "on the days I am lucky...I am silent." Somehow I feel like I know what he means by that. While I deeply cherish my friends (and those who are my deepest friends know my passion and my loyalty and that I would go to hell and back for them), and while I can find some commonality and empathy (and conversation) in my heart for almost any person I meet--such that sometimes people mistake me for a "people person"--...I still feel that "on the days I am lucky...I am silent...."

For me that is my most authentic life. It is from that place words must come, or they mean nothing really.

And I will be quiet now. :)

With thoughts of love and peace to all today....

23 comments:

  1. I'm glad you shared this about Wendell Berry's "philosophy of writing". It seems to me to explain a lot about his work, which I also love but have not explored as much as you.
    I'm sure, though, that there must be some creative space between someone feeling "compelled to write" and "going through torture."
    By the way, I love the Spencer Tracy quote as well, I know I'm going to drag that one out in conversation at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tess,
    I certainly agree with you that there are other creative spaces in between Berry's approach and the "tortured artist." :)

    I'm glad you liked the Berry, the Tracy, the post...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting all round. I often find myself thinking and/or saying that I want to be a good person and a good writer (and that the person bit comes first really). It is true that this is certainly not a very fashionable view!

    And what do I mean by 'good person'? Oh that's far too big a question for this small box!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,
    I suppose we'll all be working on that "good person" question in one way or another 'till the day we die, eh?

    Thanks for chiming in on this. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah- Wendell Berry. One of my favorites, for his life and for his writing. Two of my favorite poems of his are Song (4):

    Within the circles of our lives
    We dance the circles of the years...


    and Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front:

    ...So, friends, every day do something that won't compute.

    I find that my best writing, or what is best appreciated by commenters on my blog, tends to be what I write spontaneously and don't fuss with editing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Deb, And thanks for sharing your favorite Berry lines there. I also love the line about doing something every day that doesn't compute!

    You write about Thoreau and it resonates with me, and I write about Berry and it resonates with you. The great thing about blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This excerpt from Berry's poem reminds me of a saying of my root teacher, "Don't make anything." By "make," he meant that we should not add anything extra to the situations of our lives. Simply work with what presents itself without adding more complications from the thinking mind.

    Thanks for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that poem. I have not read enough Berry, so thanks for bringing it forward here. The passage in your profile that you mention I wrote in my journal as one to keep and remember. It speaks to me too. Peace to you, FW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barry,
    That is a very wise and succinct way of putting it, I think. Thank you for that.

    Molly,
    I am glad. :)
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First living. Then farming. THEN writing. Yes. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendell Berry has long been one of my own favorite poets…though one I’ve never quite been able to figure him out. I do think Wendell Berry the man is different from Wendell Berry the writer; I think within his act of writing he often preaches one thing while practicing the other.

    For example, in the quote which appears at the top of your blog…"I dream of a quiet man who explains nothing and defends nothing…” I see both isolationist and contrarian, when I doubt Berry is either. Does a man who will neither defend nor explain therefore lack passion? If not, is nothing worth defending? Or sharing. How does that square with freedom, caring, a willingness to try and make our self, our home, or life, the life of others, and our planet better? Does he lack belief? I’d say Berry’s writing proves otherwise.

    Sure, he might be saying “I wish it were that no man ever needed to explain and defend…” expressing the hope that everyone were always on the same page, identical in their beliefs, members of a Utopian race in a Utopian world. But we’re not…no matter your political leanings or spiritual foundations—or lack of either. And no one knows and understands this better than a farmer, which Berry certainly is in a real get-your-hands dirty way.

    His philosophy of writing, too, doesn’t quite square up with the end result. Writing is both art and process.

    Any reasonably intelligent person can learn to write competently, just as a they can learn to paint a landscape or play a tune on the piano. There are a lot of competent practitioners of all three arts (and I don’t mean to imply these are the only three “real” arts) making a living all out there—although some are so inept at what they do you sometimes have to wonder how they manage.

    Then there are the artists—the ones with real, genuine, God-given, born-in-the-genes talent. Some with so much talent they’re scary.

    I can’t draw worth diddly, but I’ve been involved with words and music all my life. Separately, I’ve made a living both as a musician and writer. I’d like to think there was at least a modicum of talent involved in both, something beyond mere competency.

    As the old saying goes, “A laborer works with his hands; a craftsman works with his hands and head; an artist works with his hands and head…and heart.”

    True art carries within in it real soul. It comes from that mysterious process, the alchemy of talent and work, of finding your unique “voice,” your soul, and rendering it unto your creation. Yes, a writer needs to have something to say (we’re talking writer in the artistic sense, not the commercial wordslinger) but you also have to reach, to learn, to master the process…and I know for a fact it is hard, hard work. I also know Wendell Berry is a fine writer. The process may come easier for him because of talent, age (he’s simply written a lot over the years) and mastery of his instrument.

    No one “needs” to create poetry. It springs, in its best forms, from deep within—not due necessarily to the notion of sharing, but in order to give tongue and life to that emotion, that thought, that experience which resonated inside your spirit and needed birthing in material form. Berry is too much the poet not to write from need, and too much the writer not to need to do it well.

    Again, I blather overly long. But FW, might I also suggest (if you haven’t read them already) the poems of Raymond Carver, Jim Harrison, and especially John Engels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SW,
    It's a nice order, isn't it? :)
    Thanks.

    Grizzled,
    First, you should know by now that you may "blather overly long," as you put it, here in the comments box any time you like. I always enjoy reading your (very well written by the way) perspective, and you always make me think. I always consider that a good thing....

    I can neither explain nor defend Berry here. ;)
    But I will agree with you that there has to be a little more to Berry's artistic process than he let's on. :)
    Also, Berry was once on the academic track--he taught English at NYU--but left it to return to his Kentucky home turf and to farm, and has stayed there ever since. His writing is certainly informed and permeated by his intentional rural life.... But Berry has certainly studied his craft thoroughly, no matter what he says, there's no doubt.

    And he is indeed a man of action not merely words and quietude in the Kentucky countryside. But here again, I've no doubt that this, like his writing, springs from his person and the life he lives. If Berry were not the contemplative farmer and poet/essayist/novelist that he is, he could neither be the environmental activist that he is.... I think what we may have here is horses before carts (and not vice versa) and identifying source...source of his writing and source of his life. That source is to be found deep in the Kentucky countryside and in the man "who explains nothing and defends nothing but only knows where the wildflowers bloom." I do noth think we are dealing with contradiction here.

    Hmmm, I guess I did end up trying to explain and defend a bit after all, didn't I? ;)

    Peace all, and as always, thank you for the stimulating discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS Grizzled, I also meant to thank you for the poet recommendations. I will put those names on my research list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. FW…

    You're right about all this, I'm sure. In a way, Berry has already answered much of this for us, putting himself as farmer first, then writer…and trying to make us believe that the latter shouldn't come about until the former is taken care of momentarily, farming be a rather constant process.

    That I don't quite believe him is because I understand—as you do—the quality and sheer quantity of Berry's work. And make no mistake, writing at Berry's level is work, regardless of talent, which Berry has by the barnful. I suspect he's being much like those British Upper Class novelists who offhandedly discount their writings as "just a little something I knocked out while on holiday," though the rest of us know it will become a bestseller (no measure of literary quality, of course) and be taught in English Literature classes a hundred years hence.

    Maybe Berry's lucky days of silence refer to a silence not of sound, but of need—of things which need to be addressed and defended and worried over…and possibly written about.

    And, hey…I think you might find something in one or two of those poets you'll like. Lemmie know if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always have a copy of one Berry's collections on my bedside table. Of any book I own (other than scripture) it is what I return to again and again. There is no way to 'finish' one of the books. They continue to speak as my path shifts and changes.

    I think you originally introduced me to him, way back when. Another thing I owe you a debt of gratitude for :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grizzled,
    "a silence of need"
    Wow, that is really profound and I think you may really be on to something there. And I do see your point about not believing Berry. :)

    Wilsonian,
    You are so welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never even heard of Wendell Berry, let alone read anything he's written, except here. By perusing the comments, I seem to be a distinct minority of one! :-)

    That said, his thoughts seem in line with Taoist philosophy. A person should write only when the words wish to be exposed. When the words wish to be quiet, so should the writer.

    I've kept to this rule fairly well on my blog. I go through periods in which I write in torrents; at other times, I write almost nothing at all.

    It's not up to me; it's up to the words themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well RT, try him, you might like him. :)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now THAT was a discussion.

    I really enjoyed reading the post and the comments. Quite a savvy, intellectually stimulating, zenful group of readers you have here. (Of course I only include myself in 2 of the three of the above-named categories.)

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Val,
    I feel amazed, humbled...blessed, to have the readers and commenters that I do. And yes, that was a great discussion.

    I won't even hazard a guess as to which of the three categories you mention you don't fit into. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought I discovered your blog at the beginning of the year but must have missed this one. Thoroughly enjoyable read,the post and the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am glad, Gleaner, very glad. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete