"Go quietly, Carry little."

Poetry, quotations, personal reflections from a lover of the wilderness, a lover of the silence....


Sunday, January 4, 2009

John Francis

I have been writing here periodically about John Francis as I read his memoir Planetwalker. Last night, my friend Wilsonian sent me the video below. I was very excited, as I was not aware that John Francis had done a talk in the Ted Talks series. The remarks that Francis makes in this video about his silence, personal transformation, and change and responsibility are quite timely for this blog given yesterday's discussion here. It might be said that John Francis' life represents a (perfect?) balance of action and contemplation. I share this with you. John Francis:

12 comments:

  1. That's a very interesting video. I was not aware of John Francis. For me, his life/person (at least in this video) is more about the courage and freedom to follow one's deepest convictions and than about the spiritual place of silence. Of course, in my experience, one cannot access the place of inner courage and conviction without a healthy dose of silence. 16 years of silence seems a bit odd to me, but then there's nothing wrong with odd - we need the courage to be odd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Just wondering if Francis was married during those 16 years that he didn't talk, and how that worked out ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing this wonderful message. John Francis makes a very significant point, "we are the environment. How we treat each other is how we treat the environment."
    Absolutely wonderful!!
    Thanks again.
    Blessings to you and all you hold dear,
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth be told, I thought John Francis was a nutjob.

    Until I saw this video.

    Thank you so much for posting this. It was beautiful on so many levels. Probably most important for me is that it reminds me of why I shouldn't make preconceived judgments about someone. Boy was I wrong this time!

    (Maybe I'm the nutjob...)

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth,
    Yes, John Francis' story is indeed one of courage and the following of deepest convictions certainly. And I agree with your statement that a healthy dose of inner silence is needed to be that person effectively.

    No, he was not married those 17 years of silence. He is married now, apparently to someone he met during that time however. Also, in the early chapters of his book when he writes about first adopting silence, he was in a significant relationship at the time that must have been quite extraordinary if Francis is to be believed, as this person understood him, understood the why of what he was doing, apparently quite approved, and there was still real communication between them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CG, thanks for the visit and the comment. You certainly keyed in on one of the most important things that Francis' life and work teaches.

    I had a quick look at your site and was interested. I'll be back to peruse more at first opportunity.

    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Val,
    Maybe we are all "nutjobs" in some way? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, we probably all are. Makes things interesting, though.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. He does a remarkable human being. Very sincere and engaging. I am glad he decided to break his silence. I can't help thinking of all those good people who accepted his decision along the way and helped him achieve what he set out doing. Perhaps you cannot be silent without the support of all those who do drive, who do talk, who engage their world in another way. He seems a decent and humble individual. I am sure he realizes that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara,
    He does indeed realize it and makes a point of saying that in his book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I googled around on John Francis I found out that, for a time, he was considered a "clown". That convinced me of his authenticity :-)

    Actually, he seems like the type of individual who is able to follow what he sees, and then when the scene changes, he is able to change his direction, without looking back. Ted Turner (of CNN fame) was that type of individual as well.

    And perhaps Francis of Assisi.

    I think that most of us are more nuanced (or something like that). We are more skeptical of what we think we see, and thus more hesitant to follow, hook-line-and-sinker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting, Beth, that you make a comparison to Francis of Assisi, a figure who was sometimes known for his "childlike" simplicity.

    To me, when I listen to him, there still seems to be a sound of "wonder" in his voice.

    These qualities make me think he has something to teach us....

    Thanks. Once again, great comments from great commenters.

    ReplyDelete